CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 24, 2010

Give A Little Bit

I've mentioned my bad luck with a certain charity in my hometown. Well, before that bad luck, there was a lot of love, admiration, and fun.

Mama started to volunteer there when she was laid off. So, because I pretty much follow in my mama's footsteps, I, too, began volunteering. I had volunteered in high school. I was in Jr. Civitan's and the entire mission of the club was to give back. We did Easter dinners for a local nursing home, canned food drive for the homeless shelter, worked in the homeless shelter bagging groceries for families (did you know they have a "food count" for each family? Family of 5? One turkey, 12 canned goods, two loaves of bread, etc.), care packages for our troops, etc. I enjoy volunteering. Honestly, nothing compares to the feeling I get during and after my time spent for and with others.

One of my favorite moments? I was getting my hair trimmed one day at Great Clips and I, out of no where, asked if they did any charity work. The manager of the shop wasn't in but, the girl cutting my hair said she'd love to be a part of something. So, I called her and asked if she would be willing to give wash/cut/style treatments free of charge to a good cause. The answer? YES! It was right before Mother's Day and I thought it would be a wonderful gift to the women and children this charity cares for. I was delighted with her response and willingness to help so, I reached out again within my community. One of my best girlfriend's family owns a local restaurant. I asked if they'd be willing to provide dinner. We would come into the restaurant and they would have a designated menu for everyone. Not everything would be available for dinner. They AGREED! But, the restaurant wouldn't be paying for dinner. The kids of the owners, my girlfriend's mama and uncles, would be covering the costs. How amazing?! They pulled from their own pockets to make the night possible. I was immediately humbled.

The Mother's Day outing, as it was referred to, took place the weekend before Mother's Day. Saturday night, a friend of mine at the time, my mama, and I took all the ladies and kids to dinner. When we arrived, they had a table saved for us and, to my surprise, said they could have anything on the menu, anything to drink, AND any dessert they wanted. Everyone loved their meals and were extremely grateful. Those people at the restaurant? While they already hold a special place in my heart, will forever have the utmost respect and love from me. Sunday night, I took the ladies and kids to Great Clips to get their hair washed/cut/styles. The ladies at Great Clips? Amazing! They had goodie bags for each parent and kid, snacks for everyone, and balloons.

It was a successful outing and a memorable one. I enjoyed orchestrating the event. I enjoyed seeing the smiles on their faces. I enjoyed knowing that people were willing to give to complete strangers.

When I get angry with said charity? I think of what that outing did for those families. Because? At the end of the day, it isn't about you and me. It's about them. The families who find themselves in awful situations. The families who have no one else to turn to. The families who seem to have more gratitude than humanly possible.

If you don't volunteer, I encourage you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment