CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 13, 2010

Gratitude

Sometimes, I forget to say 'thank you.' More often than not, I'll remember later and call/text/e-mail that person and thank them. If I've ever forgotten to say 'thank you' to you, please accept my apology.

I grew up in a house where we said 'please' and 'thank you.' We were also taught to use sir and ma'am. Living at home for twenty-one, nearly twenty-two, years, I didn't think people lived any other way. I couldn't have been more wrong. Everyone grows up differently. Everyone grows up with a different set of parents. I just thought, even with the different backgrounds and parents, gratitude would be a common value. Apparently not.

Have you ever felt taken advantage of? Used? Unappreciated? Has the person who made you feel one, if not all, of the latter three been your best friend? Your boyfriend? A co-worker? Your boss?

I don't think people realize how much I do for them. I'm a selfish person. I own that. However, I was raised to be a selfless person. To help those who need it. To do nice things for people, just because. For the most part, I do that. Sure, there are times when I don't feel like being there for someone. There are definitely times when I don't feel like helping out. But, at the end of the day, I do.

A friend of mine asked me to be there for her during a hard time. It required me to go a party with her filled with people I didn't know. I told her I would go. Not because I wanted to go. Not because I wanted to mingle. She wanted me there and that was reason enough. Did I get a 'thank you?' No. Do I feel she would do the same for me? No.

I'm no Mother Teresa. Believe me. But, I take pride in my willingness to help. It makes me feel good to help others. However, it becomes tiring when you never receive any thanks.

I offered to help out our local battered women's shelter last Christmas (I volunteered there prior to this insistance and my mother was on the board). My girlfriends and I had adopted a family through the Salvation Army and I was in the giving mood. I offered to gather items for their "Christmas Store" and use their cause for our Christmas drive at work. I e-mailed and called. I was told, time and time again, that so-and-so would get back with me. Christmas was a week away and I hadn't heard anything from anyone. We chose another charity to donate to at work, that wasn't my concern. My concern was for those women and children at the shelter. It wasn't their fault the employees and volunteers of the home didn't give a crap. It wasn't their fault someone else wasn't going to donate to help them out at Christmas. It wasn't their fault. The women who work there, the women who volunteer there felt no need to provide any form of assistance to their residents. I wrote a very, very ugly e-mail to the director of the shelter and copied the women who had told me they'd be in contact. I also included my mother. Not as my mama but, as a member of the board. What did I get? An apology. That's it. No solution to the problem. Not even a 'thank you for letting me know,' 'thank you for your interest.' Nothing.

Karma's a bitch, people. It really is. Trust me. I've had my fair share of bad Karma.

If someone offers to help? Take it and show your gratitude. If someone does something nice for you? Say thanks.

It's not that hard. Really, it isn't.

Thank you for listening to me rant.

3 comments:

  1. So, while I totally agree with you on all of the above, AND while I appreciate you needed to vent, I needed part 3 of your story. I'm waiting. Just so you know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's up now. I haven't been able to move past the last part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel a disclaimer should be posted....or perhaps a follow up to the mention on the shelter. The Board did act - not specifically on your issue, but that was one contributing factor - and the director was replaced.

    Don't let others reactions or lack thereof stop you from volunteering/giving/being there. Ultimately you do this for others - and for the way it makes YOU feel - not the thanks that you (sometimes) receive.

    ReplyDelete