CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Moving

It's that time. A time my mama and stepdad have prayed about for more than two years. I should be used to this whole moving thing. Since my parents divorced, I've moved five times with my mama and three times with my dad. Eight, count 'em, EIGHT, times within eight years. And, if you want to count my stint at ASU, that would be nine moves within eight years. Needless to say, I should own a moving business.

Anyhoo, I'll be moving into my first place by the end of next week. My bedroom looks like a Fisher Scientific warehouse with all of the Methylene Chloride boxes. And, chill, I'm using them for moving purposes...not to start a meth lab. I should probably make that clear to my new neighbors.

It's still not real yet. It didn't feel real when I called about and visited the apartment. It didn't feel real when we signed the lease and paid the deposit and first month's. It didn't feel real when I scheduled Time Warner Cable and Duke Power. Honestly, it won't feel real until I spend my first night there. Scratch that. It won't feel real until I walk through my parent's house to make sure I haven't missed anything; until I give my house key back and give my dogs kisses goodbye. It won't feel real until I'm completely broke with nothing to eat, no gas in my car, and tons of laundry to do with no detergent. THAT'S when it'll feel real.

Now, before you get the wrong idea, I'm only moving ten minutes down the road from my mama. And, I'll live less than a quarter of a mile from my best friend and her family (which I have adopted as my second family). So, I will not be miles away from my family(ies). I'm just being completely dramatic and over the top. Which is not like me. This is what moving does to me. It makes me an emotional wreck and, aparently, a drama queen. Where's my crown?

There are only a couple of things that we'll need to "complete" the apartment- a broom, mop, shower curtain rings, etc. My dad has to sand, stain, and set the glass in our coffee table. That should be ready in about two weeks. He's also making our end tables (one of the many, many perks of having a father who is extremely skilled with wood). Genna still has to get our TV stand but, everything else is a go.

I'm excited and terrified all at once. And, like most things in my life, I've put off packing for about a week or so. I'd rather not face this huge life change until I have to.

4 comments:

  1. It'll feel real when you don't have to let anyone know when you'll be home, or when you decided to eat cereal and then ice cream. For dinner. I'm so excited for you. I always had roomates, and when I moved into my 1st apt. by myself, I was terrified. But you'll love the independence!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, bliss is having your own apartment. It's peace and quiet, no one to answer to, cereal for dinner, and whatever you want to do! You''ll LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope so :) i'll actually be living with a friend of mine and her son. i've never lived with a small child before so, i'm praying that it'll go smoothly. but, it will be nice to have that independence. thanks ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do realize that we love you and only want the best for you, don't you? Praying for you to move on within your life honey, is a lot different than praying for you to move out.

    We love you, more than you'll ever know.

    You're going to flourish and thrive in this new phase of your life Amanda. If I had any doubts whatsoever that you wouldn't succeed at this, do you think I would have encouraged you to go? You're going to experience all sorts of things, and yeah, there will be times when there's no money, nothing in the fridge, dirty laundry etc...but you know what? You'll learn how to not only survive but succeed.

    love you...
    mom

    ReplyDelete