CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 11, 2010

One runny nose and two sticky hands.

Let me begin this post by saying, I love, LOVE, being an aunt. More importantly, I love my nephew, Andrew. He's not my nephew by any relation. He's my best friend's little boy. And one of my new roommates.

He is such a happy, well-behaved boy (I credit this to both of his parents, both sets of grandparents, and, of course, me). He loves playing with his toys, "air plane" rides, being tickled, peek-a-boo, screaming into my oscillating fan, sliding all over mommy's bed, swimming, people watching, bath time, and any meal. His smile and little giggle can erase a bad day at work and financial worries.

It is very rare that I will actually take care of Andrew (I changed my first poopy diaper about two weeks ago). Generally, when I get home, I make dinner as Genna prepares Andrew's food. We all eat at the table; then, Genna gives Andrew his bath as I clean up from dinner and wash the dishes. He gets his pre-bed bottle and we play a little bit. Shortly thereafter, it's bedtime. I get "fun time" with Andrew and virtually no responsibility (other than making him smile and laugh).

This morning was my first time taking care of him (well, I watched him when he was wee little and couldn't get into things). We both woke up at 6:30 and I finally got him back to bed at 7 (did I mention I didn't go to bed until 1:30?!?!). I washed dishes, folded laundry, started another load, picked up, and enjoyed my morning coffee until 9 when I woke him up to get ready for church. After feeding him his breakfast (cinnamon raisins and pears), he had his bath (I let him play in the tub a bit longer than Mommy does, 'cause I'm a good aunt). We got dressed, which wasn't as hard as getting his diaper on, and played in the living room for a bit. Then we walked around outside until Aunt Nicole came to get him for the 11 o'clock service and lunch with her family.

In the small amount of time I was with him, I quickly realized that being a single parent is extremely difficult. I also realized that you find strength you didn't know you had to take care of yourself and someone else (anyone who knows me, knows that I HATE/ABHOR/LOATHE not getting my sleep and will be crabby and ugly to everyone until I fully wake up...not this morning). Finding this strength doesn't make it easy, it just makes it easier.

I enjoy living with Andrew and couldn't have asked for a better one-year-old to live with. I love him with every ounce of me (and that's a lot of ounces). I do, however, also enjoy "me-time" and know that I could not, within the next ten years, have a child. I am a selfish person and I own that.
I give SERIOUS praise and credit to ALL single parents out there. You have my respect forever and always.

2 comments:

  1. It was nice of you to help out this morning. Being an aunt is SO MUCh easier than being a mom. I thought I was ready, and then I watched my niece for a week. I thought I was going to die. Although, now, at least thanks to this,I now know I have another expert to wrangle into baby-sitting.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...anytime. Seriously. Although, it'll be a mighty far trip for just an afternoon's worth of babysitting.

    I do enjoy spoiling him a bit (not too much since I'm constantly with him). He really is a gift. I don't like when he's gone Friday night- Sunday night. Unless, of course, he comes home and throws a fit. At that point, I'd be glad to send him back to Nana's/Maw Maw's :)

    ReplyDelete