CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 14, 2010

My reflection.

When I look at her? I see the woman I hope to be. I see bits and pieces of who I already am. And I couldn't be happier.

I am a product of two people. Not many of my father's characteristics can be found within me. But, I look like, act like, and think like my mama. I am my mother's daughter.

Mama and I didn't always get along. It was hard to accept her leaving my father. I remember collapsing on my bedroom floor at our home, crying because I didn't want to leave. I wanted all of us to be together in one home. I remember arguing with her over things that were out of her control. I remember revealing parts of myself that I didn't share with everyone. I also remember her embracing every bit of who I was. I was nineteen when I learned of unconditional love. It was my mother who showed me.

She tried, and succeeded, at being the mother she never had. The mother that was proud of anything and everything you did. The mother that complimented you on making good grades, but never rewarded you for doing something she knew you could do all along. The mother that listened. Listened to every little detail of your day, and every thought that pops into your head. Like how one nose hair is longer than the others. Listened to you as you tried to make yourself believe a lie and calmly told you to believe what your gut was telling you. Listened as you griped about your father but never offered anything other than kind words about him. Listened when you were so excited about moving out even though, deep down, she was dreading it. Mama has always listened. I think that's what I love about her most.

She's the kind of woman you're lucky to know. The kind of woman you look up to. The kind of woman you run to for advice. She's the woman who will sit with you, knowing you or not, to make sure you're okay. The woman who didn't give up when everything and everyone was telling her to. The woman who never stops being a mama.

I love my mama more than words can express. She's done a hell of a lot for my brother and I. More than either of us realize. She's pushed aside her pride, gotten her hands dirty, and skipped a meal for the better of her kids.

Mama doesn't judge. She will not belittle you. She will, however, remind you that she was right all along when you finally come to your senses. And, trust me, it will be hard to admit that to her.

I fought so hard throughout my teenage years to not be like her. Now? I embrace the things about me that came from her. Because she is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I couldn't have found a better mama, or best friend, if I tried.

I love you mama. Happy 23rd Birthday :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm crying right now...but you knew I would, didn't you?

    I love you Amanda...with every fiber of my being.

    Thank you...for being you.

    ReplyDelete