CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Levis, work boots, and a baseball hat.

Do y'all know those dad's that wear the white tennis shoes, khaki shorts, and a crisp polo? The one's that always have a kind word to give when you're feeling down? The dad's that will sit down with you and help you do your homework? Do y'all know that kind of dad? Cause I don't.

My father wears Levis, work boots, and a baseball cap. My father will be the first to tell you if you screwed up. My father rarely asked if we had homework. But, my father was genuine. My father has a huge heart. And, my father loves me.

When my mama found out that she was pregnant with me, daddy started buying toys and books for me. I was born on Father's Day, and I still maintain that I was the best Father's Day gift EVER. His second father's day, mama bought him a wheel barrow that he needed to assemble. There's video of me, sitting in the wheel barrow, trying to help my daddy put on the handles. He was patient and gentle with me.

My parents divorced when I was thirteen and they both remarried. My stepmother and I didn't get along for a very long time. I was daddy's little girl and she didn't know how to deal with it (we get along beautifully now). I also think she didn't like the fact that I was (and still am) a lot like my mama. During my teenage years, dad didn't know how to talk to me. We were watching A League of Their Own, and he pointed out that if he had to raise me on his own, I would end up like Marla Hooch. So, because my stepmother and I did not get along, I didn't spend much time over at dad's. In fact, I rarely talked to him. It makes me sad to think about it now but, I held a lot of anger against him because he chose to appease his wife over his daughter. I forgave him three years ago and haven't been bitter towards him since.

Over the past year, I've gotten closer to my dad. When I moved into my apartment, he came over and fixed the front door, put up Genna's curtains, fixed my bedroom door, and checked out the apartment to make sure we were good to go. He's been back since to hang my curtains, towel racks, and a couple of pictures. He built a coffee table for me and I am super proud of it! Dad takes the initiative to work on things for me. It's his way of showing that he cares because he's not good at asking about work, my friends, or school.

When this song came out, I knew it was about my daddy. A man that hasn't always gotten it right. A man that's pissed me off a time or two. A man that will forever and always be my daddy.

Happy 50th birthday daddy! I love you.

4 comments:

  1. That's so funny that you brought up the levis and work boots. That's all we wore on the farm when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all he's ever worn my entire life. It's funny though, he asked for a pair of shorts for his birthday. I hope he wasn't kidding!

    Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad for you that this relationship is healed. Also, I am proud of the person you have become. I understand that I sound like your mom, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sara! I am also glad that things have turned around with my dad. Every girl needs a father and, while my step-dad is an amazing person and father figure, there's no replacement for your dad.

    ReplyDelete