CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pregunta?

Yeah, I'm pretty much bilingual. Be jealous.

I've been seeing a lot of people from high school lately and they're all asking the same questions:

1. How have you been?
2. Did you graduate from college yet?
3. Where are you working?
4. Where do you live now?
5. Have you heard from [insert random person here]?

And because I know that EVERYONE reads my blog, I'm just going to answer those questions here so we don't have that awkward conversation.

1. I've been wonderful.
2. No. In fact, I'm currently not in college. I didn't qualify for financial aid because the government hates the middle class. I do plan on returning next year, though. I have two ideas of what I will be going for. One practical and one dreamy.
3. I work for an environmental testing firm in Huntersville. You know all that crap that happened with BP? We're one of the few labs that is certified to test their samples. I, however, do none of the testing. I just pay the bills and take payments from people.
4. I live in BFE with Genna and her son Andrew.
5. I only keep up with Nicole, Genna, and Keri. The same people I was friends with in high school.

I was talking with mama the other day about where I am in life compared to others I graduated with. Some have gotten married, started families, developed promising careers. I, on the other hand, have not. I'm twenty-two years old and do not feel grown-up. I do not have a boyfriend, and if I did, I have no idea when I would see him. I do not have a baby, and if I did, I have no idea when I would have time to take care of him/her (because, obviously, I would continue to do everything I do now, just with a child). I do not have a career, and if I did, I have no idea when I would find the time to do anything else in my life.

Truth is? I don't want a boyfriend right now. I don't want a baby right now. I don't want a career right now. Because? I'm not ready. I'm not ready to be committed to anyone nor casually date. I don't get involved half-heartedly. If I'm interested in you? You have all of me. And, right now? I'm not ready. I'm not ready to be a mother. Because, well, I'm selfish. And babies are a lot of work. Plus? I'm only twenty-two. And, for me, that's reason enough. I don't want a career because I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life. I mean, people? Until three months ago I didn't eat anything on my pizza. I would order the pizza with toppings and then take them off. Now, I love toppings. If I can change my mind about something I've been pretty adamant about for the last seven years, I don't trust myself to make a decision like that. Right now? I'm looking at either a business degree or an anthropology degree. Business? Practical. Anthropology? Not so much.

And while I don't feel as mature as my fellow classmates, I do feel good about where I am in life. I may not have a degree, a boyfriend, nor a career, but, what I do have? A happy life. A life that will change when I don't want it to. A life that will surprise me constantly. A life that I have to call my own.

I'll get the degree, the boyfriend, and the career I want. Eventually. Until then? I'm enjoying every minute of my degree-less, boyfriend-less, career-less life.

No comments:

Post a Comment