CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Let me tell you 'bout my beeeest friend: The Nicole Edition.


Name: Nicole Marie
Age: 22
Best friends since: 1997
Favorite memory: We went to Myrtle Beach one summer and, while taking her bathing suit coverup off, she accidentally untied her bottoms and flashed a good amount of people. I did not help her. I was laughing too hard.

When I think about my thirteen year friendship with Nicole, I begin to get teary eyed. I am extremely lucky. When I tell people how long she and I have been friends, they're amazed. I generally think, why? Then I realize, not many people are lucky enough to have a best friend for thirteen years.

Nicole and I have had our fair share of arguments. We have completely different political views and we sometimes differ in opinion when it comes to religion. We were raised differently. Our differences even boil down to our dress. She prefers brown and I love my black. She wears flow-y, colorful prints. I prefer jeans and a plain tee.

We've been through two divorces, four remarriages, new friends, new loves, lost friendships, lost loves, deaths, births, success, failure, hopes, dreams, weight gain, weight loss, and first apartments.

I know her like the back of my hand. And she knows me like hers. Last night, for instance, she left and told me to lock the door. I was busy reading another blog and didn't bother to get up. She sends me a text: Get off your ass and lock the door. She knows me. When she gets upset or frustrated, she begins to hum "Amazing Grace." I know her.

There is never a dull moment when she and I get together. She's one of the few people I can be myself around. I can tell her anything and not feel silly. She's always supportive of me. She may not agree with what I'm doing but, she supports me. We don't bullshit each other. If she asks, "Does this look good on me?" and it doesn't, I'll tell her. When looking at pictures from two years ago, I said, "Why didn't anyone tell me I was fat? Why didn't someone just say, put the cheeseburger down?" Her response? "I called you fatgirl. Fat. Girl. What part of that didn't you get?" That's Nicole. That's my best friend.

When I think of what my life would be like without her, a sadness begins to grow in my heart. She's a wonderful person. She'd do just about anything for anyone. She's sacrificed a lot throughout her life and never once wished she hadn't. She's a patient, caring, and thoughtful person. I am honored to know her. I am blessed to call her my best friend.

1 comment:

  1. This is a sweet tribute. I would say you were both very blessed :)

    ReplyDelete