CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Soul of the South

"The soul of the South is its people. We love to share food, stories, and advice- whether you ask us or not! There's no mistaking us. We're the women who can walk into any room and immediately find out everything about everybody in there, whether we know them or not. We're the men who forget a birthday yet memorize home game dates for our favorite college team. In our world, Coke is a food group and Mama rules the roost. We are a passionate people. We're the first to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, but we can't stand bad barbecue. We love who we are and where we are. And we don't take it for granted." - Eleanor Griffin, Editor in Chief of Southern Living

It's true. What Eleanor said. I consider myself to be a southerner. I was born in New York and held onto my Yankee roots for many years. Until, one day about a year ago, I realized that I loved living in the South. I loved all things Southern. I could never live far away from my mama and I adore my daddy. I take a red cup of diet coke every where I go. Even if I'm only going ten minutes down the road. I say "y'all" and "I'm fixin' to go to the store." I appreciate a guy who opens the door for me and says "yes ma'am" ('cause what woman wants to hear no?). I do believe in God and have the utmost respect for my elders. I grew up always saying "thank you" and was taught true hospitality.

My blog is called "Sweet Tea and Grace." One would assume that I drink sweet tea. Well people, I'm here to tell you that I do not. I will not order sweet tea at a restaurant nor ask for a glass when visiting friends. It's not that I don't like it, I just prefer something else. You may be asking yourself, "Self? Why did she call her blog 'Sweet Tea and Grace' if she doesn't like sweet tea?" A logical question. Those two things? Sweet Tea and Grace? Are the epitome of the South. In my eyes.

Don't get me wrong. People in other regions are hospitable, graceful, elegant, and genuine. We're just known for it. And also? We can swear like sailors. Every last one of us. We may not do it in the fashion you're accustomed to. For instance? "Bless your heart?" Is like saying "You're an asshole/idiot/bitch/retard." We just say it a little slower and sweeter. And those of you who don't live in the south? Think we're being nice.

Living in the south? Like eating your favorite foods, watching your favorite movies, listening to your favorite music, kissing the most kissable person. It's blissful. It's amazing. It's home.

2 comments:

  1. For the first 3 years I lived down here, I didn't understand the "bless your heart thing". Now I not only get it, I use it. It's been 9 years and I'm never moving back, so I've earned the right.

    "I wasn't born in the South, but I got here as fast as I could"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a shirt from the company SweetTea Shirts and it reads, "I wasn't born in the south...but I got here as fast as I could." Love that company. I also have a couple others too. You should check them out. They're on my FB.

    I love the south. Every thing about it. The smell, the way it feels (I swear it's softer than the north), the way it sounds. It amazes me.

    ReplyDelete